cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Weinger <>
Subject The Sitemap is null
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:48:29 GMT
I just found a solution to a nasty intermittent problem with cocoon
2.0.3, so for the sake of posterity (and potential Google searchers) I'm
posting it.

The exception was this:

   java.lang.RuntimeException: The Sitemap is null, this should never
be!    at

Once this was thrown, Cocoon was dead.

I am running Tomcat 4.1.12-LE, Cocoon 2.0.3 and JDK 1.4.0_01 on Windows XP

Basically, something in our code was causing us to throw this exception
recurrently, but never in the same exact place.  After 2 weeks we still
could not isolate any sequence of events to cause it deterministically.
 I won't go further into our code here, because of its complexity.

The solution was to run Tomcat as an NT Service instead of from a
startup.bat script in a DOS window.  Perhaps someone out there could
enlighten me as to why this would have an effect; does NT give services
a higher priority in allocating memory?

The only previous related post was here:

--Greg Weinger

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message