cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [design] Cocoon Blocks 1.1
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:44:25 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>

>>>a) I think a block should also be able to expose resources directly, e.g.
>>>  images.
>>>

>>Carsten:
>>
>>Do you think it would be reasonable for access to a resource to be
>>expressed as a service. I.e. the client goes though an interface exposed
>>as a service to access the resource.  This present the benefit that the
>>block (as the resource repository) does not need to be exposed to the
>>client.  It also means that we are always dealing with the same
>>conceptual service access model.
>>

>Sorry, perhaps we are talking about the same thing, but I lost you here.
>I think, it makes sense to access resources (= files) via the block
>protocol, e.g.:
>
><map:read src="block:skin://images/logo.jpg"/>
>
>Now, we could say that "images/logo.jpg" is resolved using a sitemap
>and therefore implemented as a pipeline, so resources are not served
>directory.
>
>Do you mean this (I guess not ;) )?

I think we are saying the same thing.

:-)

Assuming that we don't want to expose blocks in a classloader to the
client - instead what we want is a expose of the services that a block
provides to the client.  However, as pointed out in several of the
messages on this topic, there is a requirement for the overloading of
the result of URI based resource resolution.  Given the principal of
seperation of the block (in terms of client accessibility), then a
service is needed against which resources can be resolved based on
supplied URIs (as distinct from classloader based access to resources).

Cheers, Steve.

>Carsten

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL