cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Is anyone using cocoon.xconf files in Mounts?
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:27:05 GMT
Justin Fagnani-Bell wrote:

> Vadim and Sylvain, thanks for your replies.
> Too bad that functionality doesn't exist, that would explain why no
> one responded, they didn't know what I was talking about :) I wonder
> how that information got into the Wiki.

Don't know. I updated the page to reflect what's really working...

> It certainly seems like a good idea.

Sure ! This would mean to "externalize" the <map:components> section of
a sitemap to a separate .xconf file.

> The strange thing is that I am able to access some components that
> were defined in a sub-cocoon.xconf, but not in the main cocoon.xconf
> (just not components that use ComponentSelectors). I'm confused now as
> to why this is happening, could it be because they appear in my
> my.roles file? [ok, i just tested removing the component out of the
> cocoon.xconf files and I can still access it, obviously I'm not quite
> understanding something here]

I guess you've been confused by some of the magic of Avalon component
management. If you lookup a component that isn't explicitely declared in
your xconf file, the default class defined in the roles file is used. So
you thought to have declared a new component in a sub-xconf file (which
was never read) but in fact used the default class for that component !

> So if <map:components> is the way to do it, I'll start again there. Is
> it documented, or discussed on the list?

This is a side-effect of the way the interpreted sitemap has been
implemented, but is not an "official" feature. But I guess it will
quickly become official with the discussion on blocks since a block
_needs_ to define its own components.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message