cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>
Subject Re: [design] Cocoon Blocks 1.1
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 19:03:52 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm in a hurry now (going to the london gettogether right after this,
> All Bar One on Regents Street, London if anybody else wants to show
> up) but I will reply in full detail tomorrow.

No problem.  Have fun!  I wish I wasn't eight time zones away from you
or I'd join in on the sharing of pints.

> By now just a hint: when we'll have cocoon.apache.org, we'll have our
> own 'uber library' of blocks for block discovery.
>
> The idea is simple:
>
>  1) I give you the block behavior
>  2) you give me a list of blocks that implement this behavior and the
> location where I can download them
>
> Nice simple, effective and implemented with a simple POST request and
> XML response.
>
> What do you think?

That works for storage issues and for getting newest versions, but it is
a single point of failure and leaves out one major group: commercial
vendors.  I love free (libre) software, but commercial software exists,
some of it is good, and if they have a revenue stream they can be
terribly prolific with code production.

Lets say a vendor (correctly) recognizes Cocoon as a truly innovative
product and sees a niche for itself for creating custom components for
it.  If their product costs money (which it almost certainly will in
this scenario), they don't want people to be able to automatically
download their products without payment.  If and when Cocoon really
takes off, the sheer number of component producers -- commercial and
open source -- would surely either (a) overwhelm the component
maintainer on components.cocoon.apache.org (or whatever the hostname) or
(b) become so large and unweildy a list with so many competing products
so as to be much less usable by the Cocoon user.

On the other hand, if you have an equivalent of Debian's "sources.list"
-- a list of all of your possible download points -- you can easily
add/remove access points as needed, allow for failover to alternate
servers, allow for multiple types of sources (think stable versus beta
versus bleeding edge), makes sure that people always have the most
recent version in case of slow rsync to mirrors, and finally it would
allow a vendor to bundle their services with a Cocoon package.

Cocoon won't go as far without local dealer support.  Most of the time,
end users won't be downloading Cocoon, Tomcat, et al and setting up
their own box.  Most of the time, they call local consultants, have them
make offers, choose the one they like the best, and have them set it up.
 If those vendors can just add themselves to a list in their custom
Cocoon package, they do not disrupt the community with highly
specialized components, and vendors have an "added value" (*ugh*
sometimes I really hate marketing-speak) they can tout to their
customers.  In other words, they'll have a greater incentive to help
propogate Cocoon to others.

Open Source projects of course would be listed on the main components
list.  At such time where enough vendors get visible enough or provide
enough utility in their components so as to warrant further exposure, a
separate list similar to Debian's (I keep bringing it up don't I...)
non-free could be set up;  Once again, this does not disrupt anyone
else.  On the same token, the lists could be split if they grew too large.

You end up with much less control over the pool but the pool is much
larger.  Sometimes the key to success is making sure you include
everyone.  Other times, it's just making sure people get out of each
others' way.

For the time being, the "sources.list" would only have one URL:
http://cocoon.apache.org/components/ (or whatever the path turns out to
be) and would be no different than what you proposed.

Thoughts?

- Miles