cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [design] Cocoon Blocks 1.1
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:41:15 GMT
Miles Elam wrote:
> With regard to block deployment and its similarity to general package
> management systems (deb, rpm, msi, etc.), should there be any discussion
> about central repositories a la Debian's stable, testing, and unstable?
>
> A self-contained unit of code (component, package, whatever) is great,
> but there's something to be said for:
>
>  apt-get install foo
>
> It is so convenient in fact that many people used Debian or Debian-based
> distributions solely as a way to avoid the hunt you used to do for rpm
> files.
>
> How does a user find a package that does SVG if they've never heard of
> Batik?  They know that they want to use SVG and serialize, but then they
> must go to a web site, find the list of COBs, read the docs on each one,
> and download the appropriate one?  Are we expecting people to do a
> google search but with a site:cocoondev.apache.org modifier (which of
> course assumes they know to constrain the search there)?
>
> My question is how should block directories and discovery be handled?  I
> guess it could be considered an implementation detail, but I think it
> should be brewing on the back burner in peoples' mind at least.  Having
> useful repositories requires more forethought than just a download
> directory.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm in a hurry now (going to the london gettogether right after this,
All Bar One on Regents Street, London if anybody else wants to show up)
but I will reply in full detail tomorrow.

By now just a hint: when we'll have cocoon.apache.org, we'll have our
own 'uber library' of blocks for block discovery.

The idea is simple:

  1) I give you the block behavior
  2) you give me a list of blocks that implement this behavior and the
location where I can download them

Nice simple, effective and implemented with a simple POST request and
XML response.

What do you think?