cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@geekspeak.org>
Subject Re: [design] Cocoon Blocks 1.1
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:27:49 GMT
With regard to block deployment and its similarity to general package
management systems (deb, rpm, msi, etc.), should there be any discussion
about central repositories a la Debian's stable, testing, and unstable?

A self-contained unit of code (component, package, whatever) is great,
but there's something to be said for:

  apt-get install foo

It is so convenient in fact that many people used Debian or Debian-based
distributions solely as a way to avoid the hunt you used to do for rpm
files.

How does a user find a package that does SVG if they've never heard of
Batik?  They know that they want to use SVG and serialize, but then they
must go to a web site, find the list of COBs, read the docs on each one,
and download the appropriate one?  Are we expecting people to do a
google search but with a site:cocoondev.apache.org modifier (which of
course assumes they know to constrain the search there)?

My question is how should block directories and discovery be handled?  I
guess it could be considered an implementation detail, but I think it
should be brewing on the back burner in peoples' mind at least.  Having
useful repositories requires more forethought than just a download
directory.

Thoughts?

- Miles