cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Article on Linux/Cocoon vs.Microsoft-licensed software.
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:59:10 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Interesting, tackles the subject from very pragmatic angles IMHO:
> http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/1018.cocoon.html
>
> I like the conclusion:
> "This, to me, is a decisive issue: Linux and Cocoon it is."
>
> (first mentioned by ReinhardPoetz at
> http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonCompared)

Hmmm, I'll tell you, I get mixed feelings on this article.

First, it seems to me the guy compares apples and oranges. Take a look
at the software table:

Programming language: XMLSpy vs. mod_perl/mod_php

What is he talking about? Obviously he doesn't even have a clue on how
Cocoon works. In fact, the comparison is between

Database integration: Microsoft Biztalk Server vs. Cocoon

If comparing XMLSpy with PHP looks weird, comparing BizTalk with Cocoon
looks completely ackward to me. It is like comparing a computer and
tunneling microscope because they both need eletricity to run.

Both Biztalk and Cocoon use XML and SAX, therefore they compete. What
the hell is he talking about?

                               - o -

Many people ask me the question: what is the commercial competitor of
Cocoon? I usually say I don't go around chasing for commercial
competitors because we don't compete, but the real question is: are
there *ANY* commercial competitors out there? are there any xml-based
frameworks that get the big picture?

My impression is that cocoon created a market niche and provided the
best of breek solution at no cost. How can you beat that? How can you
beat a development community which is millions of dollars a year worth
of design, development, bugfixing, testing and user feedback?

And still we are not a top level project.

You know what I think? The most direct competitor of Cocoon is, drum
roll, Microsoft .NET NG!

What is that? well, I think Microsoft doesn't really get it now, but it
is starting to catch up quickly. Some .NET next generation will have
weapons to compete with Cocoon (unlike the J2EE which will remain mostly
as they are)

But I think it will take years for them to catch up and *understand*
there is a market and Cocoon has 100% market share and this market is
where the money is! (medium to large sites and web-apps probably count
for 90% of total money investiments on the web)

By that time, we'll have already implemented our block user-library and
we'll have enough development inertia with our satellite projects of
blocks, components and solutions to stand even the biggest marketing
engine on the planet (microsoft's in fact)

But my suggestion is: let's keep outselves under the radar for now. We
are not, by far, ready to stand *that* pressure and the amount of FUD
that will be thrown out to us.

This is why I think that article is, in fact, harming us. Please, let's
avoid sticking it into the press/news section of our documentation.