cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <>
Subject Re: <map:pipeline> confusion in 2.1
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:21:45 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi team,
> Will preparing a presentation, I realized that the new feature in 2.1
> that allows pipeline implementations to be defined in the
> <map:components> section of the sitemap leads to some duplicate use of
> <map:pipeline> and <map:pipelines> :
> - When used in <map:sitemap>, <map:pipelines> contains <map:pipeline>

> elements, which define the pipeline assembly instructions. This is
> what we've been used to up to the current 2.0.x version.
> - When used in <map:components>, <map:pipelines> also contains
> <map:pipeline> elements that define the implementations of the
> Pipeline interface to be used in the above <map:pipelines> !
> This duplicate use of the same element names IMHO introduces much
> confusion when you try to explain what a "pipeline" is, as we already
> use this word for several different things :
> - a <map:pipeline> section (logical grouping of sitemap statements)
> - the contents of a <map:match> (the instructions executed for a given
> URI)

This one is the mistake. You can assemble pipelines without a single
matcher, with help of actions, selectors, etc. Or, you can have even
signle pipeline consisting from gen/tr/serializer to serve whole URI space.

> - the chain of components that produce the response (generator,
> transformers, and serializer).
> So I propose to change the name of <map:pipeline> in the
> <map:components> part to remove this confusion (also, what about
> document validation ?)
> What about
> - <map:pipeline-handler>
> - <map:pipeline-manager>
> - <map:pipeline-runner>

I don't like it, because all the names in the sitemap currently follow
the pattern:
  transformer (noun) - transform (verb)

Ideally, we need noun-verb pair for pipeline...

> - something else ?
> Sylvain

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: