cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject <map:pipeline> confusion in 2.1
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:57:20 GMT
Hi team,

Will preparing a presentation, I realized that the new feature in 2.1
that allows pipeline implementations to be defined in the
<map:components> section of the sitemap leads to some duplicate use of
<map:pipeline> and <map:pipelines> :

- When used in <map:sitemap>, <map:pipelines> contains <map:pipeline>
elements, which define the pipeline assembly instructions. This is what
we've been used to up to the current 2.0.x version.

- When used in <map:components>, <map:pipelines> also contains
<map:pipeline> elements that define the implementations of the Pipeline
interface to be used in the above <map:pipelines> !

This duplicate use of the same element names IMHO introduces much
confusion when you try to explain what a "pipeline" is, as we already
use this word for several different things :
- a <map:pipeline> section (logical grouping of sitemap statements)
- the contents of a <map:match> (the instructions executed for a given URI)
- the chain of components that produce the response (generator,
transformers, and serializer).

So I propose to change the name of <map:pipeline> in the
<map:components> part to remove this confusion (also, what about
document validation ?)

What about
- <map:pipeline-handler>
- <map:pipeline-manager>