cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [OT] cocoon is like windows
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 20:53:18 GMT
Argyn.Kuketayev@Techspan.com wrote:

>I thought of Cocoon as an XML/XSLT processing environment, not XML
>publishing tool. So, whenever someone makes something interesting with XML,
>Cocoon developers plug it in to Cocoon in form of transformer or generator
>and so on. So, I don't have to write Java programs for every XML tool, I
>nicely use Cocoon's component and make that tool cooperate with other stuff.
>Currently, I've to go and set up sitemaps. Why not to allow me 'directly'
>invoke any component I want? It'll be more interactive. Easier to experiemnt
>with and, perhaps, to learn XML.

Ok, I got it ! What you're looking for is a web-based sitemap editor !
Have you looked at sitebuilder in scratchpad/webapp ? This may be what
you want.

However, your proposal mixed two very different concerns : the
application developper and the application user.

Assembling pipelines through the web - or any other interactive GUI - is
an application developper concern. But it is not an application user
concern, and the user *should not* be able to tweak pipelines on the
site it is visiting. This would be like giving the keys of your house to
anyone walking in the street and say : "get in, it's open : look any
datasource you like, update anything you want" !

Sylvain