cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:36:20 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Can't you just redirect? I mean... If you have to showcase static content
> (that's where mod_cache could help), you can generate it offline, and put it
> up on daedalus as static HTML files, and forget about it...

I believe we (Forrest/Cocoon-people) went already at much length
explaining the current publication mechanism using CVS as a deployment
mechanism of (generated HTML) is far from optimal, given CVS's
'interesting treatment' of new directories and the headaches one
encounters when removing unlinked/old pages.

> If you're generating dynamic content, mod_cache wouldn't help (as it's
> dynamic), and it would only make things harder...

A lot of the content would be dynamically generated from static XML
content, i.e. documentation. Content expiry headers could set making
sure content is only expirying daily (just an idea). Still, having one
global generation mechanism (Cocoon) for the entire site will provide us
with unified treatment (look&feel, navigation) of both dynamic and
'not-so-dynamic' content. It will be nice challenge for us Cocoonies to
set up the website so that cache expiry is transparently configured,
dependent on the nature of the pages, but it's the kind of challenges we
like, and it will be yet another great test for the
scalability/performance of our framework :-)

> (what's "not-so-dynamic content, btw?)
> Or am I _waaay_ off the hook here?

Nope - I was expecting this debate ;-)

Do my arguments help? Or am I simply dead wrong?

Steven Noels

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message