cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:06:14 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Daedalus and Icarus are located in San Francisco, and Proxy-Pass is (IMVHO),
> a quite silly idea... Not only we need bandwidth to _deliver_ pages, we also
> need bandwidth to _retrieve_ the pages...

Agree, but it would be a nice solution to distribute the load,
especially for not-so-dynamic content. I was thinking of the combination
of mod_proxy together with mod_cache anyhow. I'll be testing this
somewhere next week on a private server.

Given this setup, the Cocoon community has the ability to showcase its
technology while still benefiting from the kind bandwidth donation of
Collab/Sun. I know it sounds like piggybacking, but it would provide us
with a nice balance of being able to do our own thing, possibly
attracting other co-sponsors, until we are able to provide both CPU
cycles and bandwidth ourselves.

I went shopping around for other sponsors (some Belgian ISPs) some
months ago, but since Cocoon hasn't reached that level of market
recognition yet, we are basically on our own. But hopefully, if we are
able to showcase our technology, that will change (and we are very much
open to it).

</Steven>