cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:20:33 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > I think that having a machine name detached from any domain name would
> > help a lot both in communication and in perception of hardware
> > neutrality. If Nagoya was called 'e4500.sunlabs.org' I think people
> > would be less friendly to that, don't you think?
>

> or nagoya.betaversion.org :-D

No, you didn't get my point. I don't want to be dense, but I think this
is a very important.

The name of the machine is 'nagoya' and there are at least two different
DNSs that point to it: 'apache.org' and 'betaversion.org' (the second
being mostly for critical fail-over, nagoya acts as secondary DNS for
betaversion.org but just that)

If we keep 'cocoondev.org' as the machine name and we move it to the
Apache DNS, do you think people will like to have a DNS entry like

  cocoondev.org.apache.org

I already hear Pierpaolo screaming *very* loud if you propose that :)

> > To avoid having to explicitly indicating this to *every* ASF
> > individual we'll have to confront to about this (and there will be a
> > lot, ASF members tend to be very conservative, expecially about
> > infrastructural issues), I strongly suggest you give a name to that
> > machine and start referring to it with that name instead of with the
> > domain name it currently binds to.
>

> any idea? The machine name IS cocoondev.org - so if it really must be
> changed, I'd rather let the community decide. OTOH, nagoya's machine
> name hasn't much to do with apache, neither.

Neither deadalus or icarus.

But you're right, we should have this community decide the name.

Just let's do this after the votation is over, please.