cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Melhem <micha...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: [advice needed] New i18n implementation
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:11:07 GMT
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:28:03AM +0300, Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
> From: "Michael Melhem" <michaelm@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>

> change
> > >
> > > Great stuff mate. What new features are available ?
> > > Is this a complete rewrite ? or an adaption of the old one ?
> > > What's not compatible with the older one ?
> > >
> > > <snip/>..

> better
> > >
> > > Michael might have some ideas about how to do this with pipeline
> > > hints ? hmm.. I'll ask him.
> > >

> > If one uses the caching-point pipeline implementation with
> autoCachingPoint
> > turned off (you can set this in the components section of the
> > sitemap.xmap) then its possible to flag individual pipeline components
> > as caching-points.
> >
> > This means that one could do something like the following:
> >
> > <map:transform src=".." pipeline-hints="caching-point={cacheHere}" />
> >
> > This would instruct the pipeline to cache at this point (if the component
> > is cachable). This way it is possible to have multiple cache points along
> > any given pipeline.
>
> So, as if I understand correctly, the component should be cachable to server
> as caching point and it's cachability can be turned off in the sitemap? If
> so, then I'll commit the caching version.

Actually Im not sure if this exactly what your looking for, because its
does not switch on/of "cachability" of the component, but it hints to
the pipeline to do extra caching (or not) at certain points.

Indeed, if the component has caching-point switced off (ie false) but the next
component on the pipeline is also cachable, the pipeline will still
cache up to the last cachable component. That is,  hinting to the
pipeline that this is no caching-point simply defaults the pipeline to
normal caching behaviour, without the extra caching points.

If you need to switch the "cachability" of components on/off, one could create
a different pipeline hint say "no-cache".  This would require extending
one (or more) of the pipelines implementations to understand this hint
so that it would treat this particular component as if were *not*
instanceof CacheableProcessingComponent.

Best Regards,
Michael Melhem