cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: [design] Cocoon Blocks 1.1
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:16:20 GMT
Hi Stefano,

	Thanks again for the clarification. I'll think about the
	validation issue over the next few days.

	So, what has to be done to keep this thing rolling ? Do you already
	have a plan of attack ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 05:05:37PM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Marcus Crafter wrote:
> >	hmm.. perhaps I missed something then. If I want to write a block
> >	that implements a particular interface (eg. myskin block which
> >	implements the skin block interface) where is that interface
> >	described ?
>
> In the documentation of that block behavior.
>
> Consider this: a java compiler checks for method signatures to be
> compatible with the class that implements an interface. Great. But there
> is no validation on whether or not the class implements this interface
> *correctly*, that information is included in the javadocs and it's by
> run-time tests that you really find out if two classes the implement the
> same contract behave the same. There is no way to tell at compile time.
>
> For blocks we have the same problem: how can we describe a URI space?
> how can we know how a particular service works? staring with HTTP
> actions, parameters, session, cookies. Can you imagine the complexity of
> a descriptor file for such a thing? It's WSDL++++ and WSDL is a
> nightmare already.
>
> That's why I proposed we ignore the issue alltogether and just write in
> documentation what we need.
>
> I know it sucks and I know people will soon forget to document and
> things might fall apart without tools enforcing practices, but hey, I
> really don't know how we can solve this.
>
> If you have ideas I'm all ears.

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: