cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject machine name for
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 00:10:49 GMT
We need to decide a machine name for

This was one of the many issues that arose from
 [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project

Here are some English (probably Latin) name suggestions,
in no particular order. I have based these on the purpose
of i.e. a collaborative application development
environment to develop, demonstrate, and showcase Cocoon-based

1) larvae
The young forms of insects that spin cocoons.
They then undergo metamorphosis inside their cocoons.
(noun, plural)

2) pupae
"An insect in the non-feeding, usually immobile,
transformation stage between the larva and the imago."
(noun, plural) Alternative plural is pupas.

3) imago
An adult insect. Also has a meaning in psychoanalysis:
"An idealised concept of a loved one formed in childhood,
which continues to influence adult behaviour."
(noun, singular) plural is imagines.

4) pupate
To become a pupa, i.e the process

5) silk
"The fine, soft, lustrous fibre obtained from the
cocoon of the silkworm."

6) larval
In the form of a larva.

7) chyrsalis
The hard-shelled pupa of a moth or butterfly.

I am still looking for the word which means
the emergence of the final thing from the cocoon
and its expression to its new world.

Meanings 1-7 are paraphrased from:
"The Macquarie Dictionary 3rd edition
- Australia's National dictionary"