cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Lucene Problems
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:05:57 GMT

On Sunday, Nov 3, 2002, at 20:34 Europe/London, Bernhard Huber wrote:

> hi,

Many thanks for your reply, Bernhard.

>>  IOException in index()

>> This causes the index to be incomplete, and causes further problems
>> when you try to search using the index.
>>
>> If I use the Lucene Samples in Cocoon, and index my Cocoon
>> documentation, I always get this error.
>
> Hm, i once got this kind of error, too,
> but i can't remember exactly how i did solve it,
> perhaps you must set the mergefactor of lucene differently.
> As much as i remember lucene has some options about how many files are
> kept opened in case of indexing,
> it later merges the indexes files, ....

Ah Ha! I was beginning to think it was some weakness of MacOSX JVM (or
maybe it still is ....).

Have you any idea where this is configured?

>> Before I started to have the indexing failures, I had another
>> problem,  this time much more difficult to replicate.
>>
>> About every 10 searches, I would get a "Bad Resource" error from
>> LuceneGenerator. A simple reload of the page would give me the search
>>  hits I expected.
>>
>> Can anyone think of a Cocoon cause for these problems, or should I
>> get  onto the Lucene team about them?
>
> Do you have anymore detailed exception stack traces?

I do for the indexing, but not for the intermittent fault, which has
not happened again since the indexing started failing.

Here is the indexing exception report:

Cocoon 2 - Internal server error

type fatal

message IOException in index()

description org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: IOException in
index(): java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/Users/jermq/Library/TomCat/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-
files/index/_1d.f30 (Too many open files)

source Cocoon servlet

stack-trace

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: IOException in index():
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/Users/jermq/Library/TomCat/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-
files/index/_1d.f30 (Too many open files)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.search.SimpleLuceneCocoonIndexerImpl.index(
SimpleLuceneCocoonIndexerImpl.java:261)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.www.samples.search.create_index_xsp.createIndex(/
Users/jermq/Library/TomCat/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-
files/org/apache/cocoon/www/samples/search/create_index_xsp.java:106)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.www.samples.search.create_index_xsp.generate(/Users/
jermq/Library/TomCat/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-files/org/
apache/cocoon/www/samples/search/create_index_xsp.java:190)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.generation.ServerPagesGenerator.generate(ServerPagesGe
nerator.java:269)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process
XMLPipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:512)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipe
line.processXMLPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:204)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process
(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:483)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(
SerializeNode.java:149)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:85)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PreparableMatchNode.i
nvoke(PreparableMatchNode.java:166)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:109)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(P
ipelineNode.java:153)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:109)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(
PipelinesNode.java:143)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreePro
cessor.java:326)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreePro
cessor.java:308)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MountNode.invoke(Moun
tNode.java:131)
[...]
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:1069)
	at
tionFilterChain.java:247)
	at
erChain.java:193)
	at
e.java:260)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)
	at
	at
e.java:191)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:239
6)
	at
:180)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherVa
lve.java:170)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at
:172)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)
	at
	at
java:174)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)
	at
	at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:40
5)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11Protocol.java:380)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:50
8)
	at
.java:533)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:491)
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/Users/jermq/Library/TomCat/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-
files/index/_1d.f30 (Too many open files)
	at java.io.RandomAccessFile.(RandomAccessFile.java:93)
	at java.io.RandomAccessFile.(RandomAccessFile.java:138)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream$Descriptor.(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.openNorms(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(Unknown Source)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.search.SimpleLuceneCocoonIndexerImpl.index(
SimpleLuceneCocoonIndexerImpl.java:259)
[...]

request-uri

/cocoon/samples/search/create

path-info