cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [advice needed] New i18n implementation
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:36:27 GMT
From: "Marcus Crafter" <crafterm@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 06:46:08PM +0300, Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
> >
> > 2. Cachability.
> >
> > Currently, I have two implementations of the new version: cachable and
not.
> > As you can guess the cachable implementation performs much better, cause
it
> > is cached after the first use, but in cases, when you have a dynamic
content
> > like the current date that is generated by the <i18n:date*/> and
<i18n:time/>
> > tags then you'll have problems.
>
> Konstantin, one random thought. Why not split the transformer up into
> two. ie. one transformer - cacheable, for i18n message catalogues, and
> another transformer - non cacheable for the dynamic content ?
>
> Not sure what consequences that will have on the code though, what
> do you think ?

Yes, I had almost the same idea: to split the transformer into the
internationalizing transformer and formatting transformer for dates, times,
currencies, etc. and it seems to be a good idea, because formatting can be
used also in non multilingual applications without the need to use bundles
or so.
But the problem is that I don't have any time to spend on it ;(

If somebody will want to rewrite the i18n from scratch (BASF IT?) then it'd
be better to consult with the BASF IT developers and use their Tag
transformer approach instead of the current implementation which becomes
more and more difficult to maintain. There are already several implemented
tags for formatting in the scratchpad.

Regards,
  Konstantin