cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: InputModules and SourceInspectors
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:13:06 GMT

Stephan Michels wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > Stephan Michels wrote:
> > >
> > > On my intentions to integrate Slide into Cocoon I developed
> > > the InspectableSource and SourceInspector IFs. And now I'm
> > > thinking about merging the two concepts, InputModules and
> > > SourceInspectors.
> > >
> > > The SourceInspectors are used to get information about
> > > a Source, e.g. the height of an image. It should be an replacement
> > > for the ImageDirectoryGenerator, and MP3DirectoryGenerator etc.
> > >
> > > The InspectableSource should create the posibility to store
> > > properties with the a source, like title, owner etc. It
> > > should work similar to the WebDAV propfind and proppatch method.
> > >
> > Ehm, why do you need an extra marker interface for this? The
> > Source interface has already these methods:
> >     String getParameter( String name );
> >     long getParameterAsLong( String name );
> >     Iterator getParameterNames();
>
> Two points:
>
> 1. There is no way to set a property.
We could extend WriteableSource with a setParameter() method.

> 2. There is also a need for a namespace of properties.
> namespace="DAV:" name="getcontentlength"
> namespace="http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/" name="password"
> etc.

You can use namespaces with getParameter() as well, like
"DAV:getcontentlength" or "http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/password"
or any other syntax.

> > So, you ask a source for any information, e.g. the height or
> > anything else and if the source supports this information,
> > you will get it.
>
> There is a difference between InspectableSource and
> SourceInspector. The SourceInspector allows to apply an action
> to an source, independent of the implementation of the Source
> object, like retriving information of the inputstream.

Ok, so this is a general component, right? Shouldn't that go into
Excalibur then?

> > I think we should really avoid this flood of additional
> > source marker interfaces.
>
> I totally agree, that was the intention of my mail ;-)

Great, consensus reached ;)

Carsten