cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [Proposal]: Advanced Value Substitution
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:16:59 GMT

Christian Haul wrote:
> > First, it's a general approach which works for all components (at least
> > those
> > looked up using the ComponentManager - it does not work for selectors).
> > It is currently used and it works.
>
> OK. But the "configuration at runtime" argument should hold here, too,
> or be ignorable for the InputModules as well.

This depends on your point of view. Look at all the sitemap components,
they are configurable at runtime as well: through map:parameter
statements.

And it wasn't me who abandoned "configuration at runtime". But there is
one important difference between the solution I implemented and the
current input modules: IoC! The current ConfigurableSitemap component
follows strictly the IoC pattern from Avalon - the input modules not.
So, I guess this point is still valid.

> LifeCycle does not make sense for InputModules, so it would be the
> only possibility to pass them on the go.

Yes, LifeCycle makes sense - see the globale module or even the
module for getting request information has a lifecycle. By adding
the objectModel to the method signature you make this explicitly.
By choosing RequestLifecycleComponent this would have been
implicit.

Carsten