cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: Input module chaining (Re: XML input module)
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:13:55 GMT
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
> Quoting Jeff Turner <jefft@apache.org>:
>
> > Ehm.. more code, less talk :)
>
> Before you guys start coding something that looks like FS
> from 10 Km, please,
> make a formal votation by writing a small description of what
> you are trying to
> do. TIA

After learing what is the FS, I should say, that input modules are really
good replacements for most of the actions and it's not FS, but a better
approach for obtaining values to be used in sitemap attributes. When all the
request, session input modules are implemented, we can deprecate all the
actions that read a value (e.g. RequestParamAction, DOMReaderAction, etc.).
Actions would be needed for setting values, though, but this can be easily
done in the flow layer.

IMO, Input modules make sitemaps look shorter and more elegant.
Compare:

<!-- action version -->
  <map:act type="request-param">
    <map:generate src="..." />
   <map:transform src="{stylesheet}.xsl" /> <!-- We get the stylesheet name
from a request parameter -->
  </map:act>

<!-- input module version -->
    <map:generate src="..." />
   <map:transform src="{request-param:stylesheet}.xsl" /> <!-- We get the
stylesheet name from a request parameter -->

--
  Konstantin