cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: defaulting to a matcher when another one is not present
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:12:29 GMT
>> Umm, forgot to comment on this: if I invoke another classes methods I'm
>> certainly free to deal with any exception as I see fit? It seems to me
that
>> a sitemap doesn't implement the equivalent of composition either...
>
> A sitemap is not a class either, it doesn't have methods.
> The analogy is not 1-1, but the concept remains: inheritance would mean
> I get all the matchers of the supersitemap plus mine and eventually
> substitute then, while composition means I can compose subsitemaps in a
> parent sitemap and make them handle part of the URI space.

But that still doesn't explain why you shouldn't be free to catch or ignore
exceptions from the sub sitemap as you see fit?

I will note that inheritance doesn't mean you get exactly the matchers of a
"supersitemap".  Rather, you can choose to override them or not, as you see
fit.  Of course, having used Smalltalk before I ever encountered Java I
don't see anything wrong with inheritance (or for that matter multiple
inheritance)...