cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy Lewis" <...@ascii27.net>
Subject Re: Another XSP?
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:17:19 GMT
To satisfy my own curiosity, I actualy asked them about it, and got this response. I should
point
out that in retrospect my inital email to them was, well, slightly more abrasive than it ought
jave been, for which I did follow-up with an apology. At any rate, here was the reply I got:

If you are referring to Apache's Cocoon eXtensible Server Pages (XSP), Trilog's XSP product
has no
common root with Apache's Cocoon and conceptually very different. We have invented this technology
in 1998, and to  answer your question, it's just an unfortunate coincidence that inevitably
happens when you use TLAs (3-letter acronyms) to designate something. We cannot blame Apache
for
picking the XSP acronym (which is a natural for eXtensible Server Pages). xSP also designates
Service Providers generically. Is an acronym sufficient to become a brand? Please consult
on US
trademark lawbefore you jump to conclusions :-)

Regards,

Alex El Homsi
President and CEO
Trilog Group, Inc.

P.S. We use many of Apache's J2EE libraries and common XML parsers without modification (nothing
that relates to Cocoon) and we give the appropriate accreditations to the Apache Software
Foundation within our Software and documentation. We also promote Apache's Tomcat to our
customers. In fact, our Web Site is running Tomcat 4.1 and so are most of our customers.

> Ugo Cei wrote:
>
>> "Introducing XML Server Pages - XSP"
>>
>> "XSP technology is a revolutionary innovation from Trilog built to improve both the
>> development and execution of powerful Web applications. As the core technology in
FlowBuilder
>> XML Edition, XML Server Pages (XSPs) provide the framework to create dynamic applications
that
>> leverage reusable components in a manner that is faster, more intuitive, more flexible,
and
>> more easily maintained than JSPs or ASPs."
>>
>> http://xsp.triloggroup.com/flowbuilder/site/f5_1_Tech_XSP.xsp
>>
>> Maybe we should have trademarked the "XSP" term :-(
>
> Actually, DataChannel already has a trademark on the term XSP.
>
> This is one of the reasons I wanted them into xml.apache.org (they were  the donor of
the Xang
> project, which is now going to hybernation) so  that they could, at least, be on the
friendly
> part.
>
> Anyway, I'll bring this up to the ASF members and see if we should do  something about
it.

> Anyway, we have a public use of the term XSP since 1999 but I'm not sure  how enforcable
that
> would be since they their XSP means XML Server pages  and not eXtensible like we do.
>
> But anyway, everyone who should, already knows what XSP are :)
>
> --
> Stefano Mazzocchi                               <stefano@apache.org>

"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."