cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:14:26 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I like this idea, as we need, as shown by cocoondev.org, to host some
> live Cocoon apps. But we *must* also use the common infrastructure
> provided by daedalus and icarus when it makes sense : static website,
> distros, mailing lists and cvs (IMHO including the ones of
> cocoondev.org).

Absolutely. It would be plain silly to redo something that already works
great (CVS/mail/static web are just great and managed very well, IMO).

What we lack is the ability to host our own web applications and this is
  what we want to fix.

> This ensures we won't be tempted by a "Cocoon software
> foundation" (even if I'm sure Stefano will take great care to avoid
> this), save bandwidth, CPU and administration costs for
> people/entities offering resource for live applications.

Oh, you can bet your ass here :)

> Proxypassing will also allow to have _several_ machines behind
> cocoon.apache.org. This can provide simple load partitioning and allow
> different members of the community to offer CPU and bandwidth (nothing
> sure for now, but I'd like my company to offer some).

Yep. Also, as Steven and I discussed on the phone, most of the bandwidth
is used by distributions and Pier told me that infrastructure@ is
building a pretty nice rsync-based mirroring system.

So it makes perfect sense to use the ASF machinery when it works and
just *patch* what we need.

> However, I wonder if proxypassing from San Diego (IIRC this is where
> icarus and daedalus are) to Ghent or another european location is
> technically ok?

Don't use geographical topology as a metric. Steven, what is the network
topology between the ASF machines and the one we would be using?

>  Don't you fear about tcp packets making a trip around
> the earth when you send a request through cocoon.apache.org to the
> machine that's in the room next door ?

Here in Italy is many times faster to download from cupertino than it is
from germany :) Like I said, it's a matter of pipes, bandwidth and
hosts, and this has nothing to do with geographical location.

Anyway, I think it would be a great challenge for us to run that system.
It would really show off the power of Cocoon and dissipate some of those
'it doesn't handle load' myths that I've heard flying around :)