cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Back from Germany
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:52:03 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

> I don't think that any of this is really any different than what is
> happening today.

Yes, Cocoon was, in fact, built entirely like this: one person has an
idea and a development community refines it. Maybe using several
design/implement/test phases.

> My real point is that I think that it's really hard for
> multiple people to write an architecture together.  I trust that
> anyone proposing a major change to an architecture is experienced
> enough or smart enough to know how to get to the end point.

Hmmm, have you ever read some of thouse random thoughs flying around?
Several times I had ideas but they were foggy and the community helped
clearing up the fog. I think this is part of the brainstorming that
helps collaborative design.

Sure, I agree with you that there must be some 'leadership', in sense of
'leading the effort' (not ruling it), but I think it *IS* possible to
design architectures in the open and I think the value of Cocoon proves
this pretty evidently.

> As such, I trust Carsten, Stefano and whom-ever to figure most of this
> stuff out without necessarily involving the general Cocoon developer
> community at each point that there is some design decision to be made.

These are the stages we have been using so far

  - random thoughts
  - proposal
  - discussion
  - implementation
  - test

and only 'proposal' is a single-person effort.

> Open development sounds like a nice ideal, but perhaps it might be
> more effective to work for benign dictator led development (with the
> understanding that at any point there may be a revolution that gets
> rid of the dictator)...

No, I think Cocoon proves that open development can be a killer way to
do both research and development and, if run correctly, is not an ideal
but a practical solution.

Just like open source was considered crap at first by those used to
closed-development strongly hierarchical models.