cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:03:34 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>  > 3) what does it mean for Cocoon?
>  >
>  > Being a project allows us to host several different incubation-stage
>  >  efforts underneath. Cocoblog, wyona, forrest, cocoon-related IDE
>  > plugins could be possible additions. Of course, with the idea of
>  > promoting them as top-level projects when they are successful from a
>  > community perspective.
>  >
>  > Also, it means that we could have our own machine running the entire
>  >  cocoon.apache.org web site (that means: finally having Cocoon
>  > serving its own pages!)
>  >
>  > Last but not least, it will give much more visibility to Cocoon since
>  > it will be visible directly from www.apache.org
>
> Seems you hit the sweet spot pretty hard :-|
>
> OK. I won't be doing this all by myself. But I don't want to see
> something we have been preparing for such a long time willingly
> ignored by this proposal.

NOTE for others: Steven called me on the phone to apologize for the tone
of this email. So, please, people, let's keep the tone of the
conversation constructive.

I think I mixed concerns.

One concern is moving cocoon higher up in the legal structure of the ASF.

Another concern is what infrastructure will empower that.

This proposal is about the first concern. It does *NOT* nor was intended
to contain a proposal for the second concern that will be dealt with
*after* the first is solved.

So after this votation ends and all committers voted.

> So I would like to make a sub-proposal attached to this vote:
>
> The dream of cocoon.apache.org having its own hardware resources can
> be realized by working further on the foundations of
> http://cocoondev.org/.
> I'm ready to see the proposed cocoondev.org board being subsumed by
> the Cocoon PMC for that matter. Also, what we have set up as
> guidelines should be scrutinized and fleshed out further to bring in
> line with the new PMC's ideas. The main benefit of cocoondev.org is
> that it has been
> set up with sufficient compartimentization in mind, both on a security
> and classloading level. So all these cocoon-based apps can be developed
> and showcased independently from each other. And that the machine is
> there and available, of course.

I have absolutely no problems in considering cocoondev.org as the
hosting space for our own infrastructure, just like the PHP people
manage their own machines.

In fact, I think the ASF infrastructure has been a severe bottleneck for
the growth and showoff of our own technologies (unlike on php.apache.org)

> I'm all +1 for cocoon.apache.org being a top-level project, of course.
> I sent you a mail suggesting to move forward with this 5 days ago.

Great, +1 counted.

> But I would be very sad to see what we have been doing for
> cocoondev.org going lost in the turmoil. Especially on my 32nd
> birthday :-|

Happy birthday. Here is the present for you: it will not!

> All: if you were not aware of http://cocoondev.org/, please take a
> look.  If you are interested and want to discuss further , please
> subscribe yourself using supporters-subscribe@lists.cocoondev.org
>
> But hopefully, this list might soon become something like
> infrastructure@cocoon.apache.org

Wouldn't it be cool to have our own community server based on Cocoon and
  handled by ourselves? might even be a subproject that we could host on
cocoon.apache.org

Yeah, Steven, don't worry, your efforts will not be thrown away.