cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: never gonna make it to a butterfly
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:51:54 GMT
[warning: rant ahead]

[copied from cocoon-users - the usual, but well-educated complaint about
missing documentation and 'competing' solutions for the same problem
inside Cocoon and the confusion this causes]

to -dev: I recall meeting with Giacomo in October 2000
( where he educated me about
authentication/authorisation really being the concern of the servlet
container rather than Cocoon itself - and after the preparation of some
course material for a Cocoon workshop we did two weeks ago, Marc and I
came to the conclusion that this indeed is a feasible way to go - just
rely on Cocoon for building up login screens, and let the container
manage authentication and authorisation. How this orthogonality could be
related to/embedded into the sitemap, I cannot answer right now, and I
do believe the Authentication stuff is doing a nice job in this regard,
but we should clear the area for 'competing' approaches while not
confusing newbie users even more. Same with the LDAP stuff, same with
database access.

I know about the Blocks work-in-progress, but still I believe there
should be some serious thinking about what goes in and stays out of the
Cocoon core. There is simply too much that shouldn't be part of it.

Being able right now to actually contribute to the Cocoon documentation,
I'm baffled currently with the amount of
gee-let's-see-if-we-can-fit-this-also-inside-Cocoon, some of it
well-maintained by the original committer, some of it... well - see
below ;-)

Some people might know already that I have been working (slowly) on an
open infrastructure to host and showcase (the development of)
Cocoon-related open source projects: Related to
that, there is the xml-cocoon2-apps module now...:

stevenn@ELISABETH ~/projects
$ cvs checkout xml-cocoon2-apps
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2-apps
U xml-cocoon2-apps/module.xml
U xml-cocoon2-apps/properties.xml
U xml-cocoon2-apps/status.xml
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2-apps/legal
U xml-cocoon2-apps/legal/LICENSE
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2-apps/src
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2-apps/src/bringmethis
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2-apps/src/bringmethis/cocoonapp
U xml-cocoon2-apps/src/bringmethis/cocoonapp/cocoonapphere.txt
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2-apps/src/bringmethis/conf
U xml-cocoon2-apps/src/bringmethis/conf/configurationhere.txt
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2-apps/src/bringmethis/java
U xml-cocoon2-apps/src/bringmethis/java/javacodehere.txt

Hm - not much in there?

Am I the only one who believes too much has been made part of the Cocoon
core right now - and that keeping all of this up to date is next to

Also, for the -docs people: given the current 'component explosion' of
Cocoon, will we ever be able to host a set of coherent documentation,
keeping in mind versions and optional components/functionalities?

Just a thought. If I will be asking every committer one question on the
19th of November, it will be that one: what is Core to Cocoon.

I believe everything which doesn't add anything to the sitemap
model/grammar/syntax, should be moved out of the core, and can only be
moved back in after lenghty elaboration.

Or am I FUD'ing here?

[message from cocoon-users underneath]