cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:18:40 GMT
Robert Koberg wrote:

> even if it is about .1% of the general Internet users? There might be an
> argument if stats could be provided for the user base, but that does not seem to
> be acceptable. What if you have 0 hits with Nav4? Do you still need to support
> it?

Oh, god, we already had this conversation on forrest-dev a while ago and
the figures say that xml.apache.org is hit by 10% of 4th generation (or
less) browsers. So we decided to stick with 'some' HTML table layout.

I would love to go pure CSS as much as any of you, people, but we *must*
understand that apache is a worldwide thing. And that 1% of the market
we might be cutting off it probably the one that mostly needs our help
to get out of their empasse.

> You can avoid the crashers (if you want). You can move your sites to CSS based
> layout now it is a far superior way to handle page layouts! Last I saw IE has
> around 97% of the market with the bulk being v5+. Still you can design the page
> to degrade somewhat gracefully - the ns4 users are not that picky...

yes, as long as it doesn't crash, I agree: nobody is going to be picky
if they don't support CSS.

> I have been trying to get a CSS based site into forrest (along with some other
> interesting ideas) but the prevailing order seems to be taking an ostrich
> strategy toward many things (linking in particular)...

It won't be hard to have different stylesheets depending on the browser
selection. So, let's use the power of cocoon instead of forcing CSS down
everyone's neck.

> Here is our new site with a pure CSS layout (still under dev):
> http://livesb.livestoryboard.com/

You might want to check it out with mozilla. ;-)