cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Input module chaining (Re: XML input module)
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 19:27:03 GMT
Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
>>From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>>Quoting Jeff Turner <jefft@apache.org>:
>>

>>>Ehm.. more code, less talk :)
>>
>>Before you guys start coding something that looks like FS
>>from 10 Km, please,
>>make a formal votation by writing a small description of what
>>you are trying to
>>do. TIA
>

> After learing what is the FS, I should say, that input modules are really
> good replacements for most of the actions and it's not FS, but a better
> approach for obtaining values to be used in sitemap attributes. When all the
> request, session input modules are implemented, we can deprecate all the
> actions that read a value (e.g. RequestParamAction, DOMReaderAction, etc.).
> Actions would be needed for setting values, though, but this can be easily
> done in the flow layer.
>
> IMO, Input modules make sitemaps look shorter and more elegant.
> Compare:
>
> <!-- action version -->
>   <map:act type="request-param">
>     <map:generate src="..." />
>    <map:transform src="{stylesheet}.xsl" /> <!-- We get the stylesheet name
> from a request parameter -->
>   </map:act>
>
> <!-- input module version -->
>     <map:generate src="..." />
>    <map:transform src="{request-param:stylesheet}.xsl" /> <!-- We get the >
stylesheet name from a request parameter -->

I totally agree with Konstantin. The imput modules makes alot of actions
used so far obsolete (and this should trigger something, Stefano ;-) and
also reduce the verbosity in the sitemap.

But admittedly I havn't got what the chaining of input modules will be
(because of lack of time to dive into to be able to discuss about).

Giacomo