cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT]: InputModules interfaces
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:51:37 GMT
Christian Haul wrote:

>>>+1
>>>

>And were should the others go? (I.e. OutputModule and database aka AutoIncrementModule)

is an "avalon reserved lifecycle exception". ProcessingException would be much better.

>>>+1
>>>

>see below

>This feature is not used with respect to the sitemap usage.
>
>It allows to pass arbitrary configuration data to a module. This could be a output format,
details about the data source or whatever. The DigestMetaModule for example can be told what
algorithm to use, what salt to use, and whether the result should be encoded as a string.
Basically, the same information that can be passed upon configuration can be passed at run-time.

>Therefore, they throw configurationExceptions. I believe, none actually does.

Is it good to allow passing a configuration at request-time ? This seems
like FS to me (Carsten, it's my turn, now ;-)

Also, this can hurt performance : extracting configuration data is
expensive. And where does this request-time configuration come from ? Is
it built from scratch by objects using the module ? This again can hurt
perfs.

If several different configuration are needed by a module, doesn't this
mean in fact that there should be several instances of the module with
different configurations declared in cocoon.xconf ?

>>>For usage in sitemap attribute values only the getAttribute() method has meaning.
But input modules are concidered to be used also in other places, e.g. in XSP to obtain modular
values (maybe through a logicsheet) or in actions.

>>Ah, ok, thanks!
>>
>>I have to add
>>
>>e) Enumeration vs Iterator
>>I would like to change getAttributeNames() to return an Iterator instead of an Enumeration
because the Collection API uses Iterator in favour of Enumeration.

>Since this was planned as a painless as possible replacement for the
>HTTP request's parameter API I have chosen Enumeration and wrapped an Iterator. Anyway,
I'd be happy both ways.

>	Chris.

Sylvain

--