cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Profiling Cocoon...
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 08:09:56 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Correct, but this is not a good reason to have them run their
> well-thought stylesheets slower, don't you think?

Agree.

>> I'm not saying we shouldn't be bugtesting for XSLTC, it's just that I
>> don't know if the XSLTC community will be there to follow up on our
>> bug reports.
>

> I hear you. Consider it a stress-test of both the software *and* the
> community around it.

I've been investigating
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xalan-cvs&s=xsltc a bit and it seems
like there are some people actively working on it. Only Sun-people
however, and I recently organized an XSLT seminar with Michael Kay who
was quite 'amused' w.r.t. XSLTC compliance & partial performance
optimalization of XSLTC. But he's obviously biased :-)

> Anyway, just a reminder: you never get people to scratch if you don't
> create some itches :)

Would that be itches or just pet peeves? ;-)

> And if this thing doesn't work out as expected, we can always ship
> Cocoon 2.1 final with Xalan enabled.
>
> What do you think?

Fair enough. We'll be a prime beta test site for both Avalon and XSLTC.
I believe we should definitely start warning people upfront that they
really should stick to release versions, instead of relying on CVS
checkouts of HEAD/2.1-dev - for some reason, there's quite some people
using CVS instead of our release version. But that's another rant.

Thanks for your analysis, BTW!

</Steven>