cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: [RT]: InputModules interfaces
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:17:36 GMT
On 08.Oct.2002 -- 09:55 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Christian Haul wrote:
> >
> > On 08.Oct.2002 -- 08:09 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > > So, summarizing this, it seems that we agree on changing the InputModule
> > > interface to
> > >
> > > o.a.c.components.modules.InputModule
> > > {
> > >    Object getAttribute( String name, Map objectModel ) throws
> > > ProcessingException;
> > >
> > >    Iterator getAttributeNames( Map objectModel ) throws
> > ProcessingException;
> > >
> > >    Object[] getAttributeValues( String name, Map objectModel ) throws
> > > ProcessingException;
> > > }
> > >
> > > Everyone happy with this?
> >
> > Not happy but OK ;-)
> >
> :(
>
> > Just one thing: Where should the other two interfaces go?
> > o.a.c.components.modules.OutputModule
> > o.a.c.components.modules.AutoIncrementModule
> > then?
> >
> Hmm, I currently see a use case for the InputModules: in the sitemap
> as a better way for getting information than writing custom actions.
> It seems that some of you a re using InputModules in other scenarios
> as well. So, can you give some more information about where and
> why to use OutputModules?

This all originates in the rewrite of the database actions. The
sitemap usage was added afterwards.

*) put e.g. database results directly into your session
*) interface systems outside cocoon

Granted, uses for this are less obvious and most probably most will
note want to use anything different from session and request
attributes.

> For me, it seems that AutoIncrementModule is very database specific
> and if so, it should go to a totally different place.

This is historic ;-) Anyway, what is your suggestion?

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de