cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: XML input module (was: RE: Nice changes!)
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:57:09 GMT
On 02.Oct.2002 -- 09:47 AM, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> This is likely an issue you're going to run into also; mapping XPath to
> random session objects might be possible, but I suspect the two domains
> aren't perfectly isomorphic :-(

Yes, but since we don't need to work on strings, less so. All these
modules work on Objects and only on some occasions you really want
strings. In the sitemap for example.

[a highly interesting discussion snipped]

> No more matchers, no more selectors; just XSLT templates ;-)...  Seriously,
> once (if?) XSLT 2 gains regex capabilities I can't really see why a pure
> XSLT pipeline couldn't do everything that matchers and selectors do, therby
> eliminating huge chunks of the current Cocoon code base?

Maybe, maybe not. One would need to use a lot extension functions to
achieve similar things (e.g. j2ee, databases and stuff) but that might
be portable to other pipeline systems (?). OTOH Apache Cocoon a lot
about SoC and it will need to be seen if that works as well with your
suggested approach.

I believe, many would be interested in your approach. I hope you find
the time to work on it.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l