cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: XML input module (was: RE: Nice changes!)
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 18:04:26 GMT
On 01.Oct.2002 -- 09:46 AM, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> I've been following this discussion for the last week or so and suddenly
> this morning I had to start questioning exactly what the true purpose of all
> this is?  The idea of being able to dig out a value based on a precedence
> hierarchy makes sense, but XML and XSLT already have very good mechanisms
> for doing this (and Cocoon provides perfectly adequate ways of building XML
> and running XSLT!).  Consider, for instance:

You are absolutely right. It's just that these InputModules serve the purpose
of returning small values, and that often multiple times from the same source.
The DatabaseActions make use of this heavily. I wouldn't want to use pipelines
for obtaining 30 values through the use of the request generator and some xslt
resulting in 30 executions of this pipeline.

We all are familiar with xpath, so why not use this to specify what values
should be taken.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l