cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: OT: RE: never gonna make it to a butterfly
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 05:50:35 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> <snip/>
> > Ah, one more thing, don't ask 'when', ask how you can help.
>
> Stupid english uses the same word for 'you' (one person) and 'you'
> (many people).
>
> The above sentence was *not* referred to Steven, but to all those who
> wish they had blocks *YESTERDAY* but are not doing anything about it.
>
> Sorry about it, Steven.

There some other ways around the stupid plural thing.
Reconstruct your sentences to avoid it.
* Use the term "one" which removes personal connotations.
* Use "everyone" or "anyone".
* Use "all of us".
* Use "all of those people".

This also has the advantage of removing defensiveness
that can arise from a comment which includes "you".

Please do not degenerate the language even further
with such nonsense as "all y'all" and "yous". We have
a joke in Australia when people use the nasty plural
"yous". Say to them "Baa, baa" - the sound made by a
female sheep (a "ewe") is pronounced the same.
--David