cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ola Berg <ola.b...@arkitema.se>
Subject Re: 3 suggestions
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:56:16 GMT
>Actually the exceptions are wrapped but unfortunately there is no
>evaluation of all possible wrapping exceptions at the top level.
[...snip...]

Yes, I know. I\'ve been following the discussions re nested exceptions at jakarta-commons,
as well as in two client project, and there seem to be little or no consensus on what would
be the \"best practise\".

It doesn\'t help my use-case though. It would be very helpful if the parser\'s exceptions
included information on what resource it attempted to parse. I suspect that this is a thing
that hinders people from coming up to speed with Cocoon. And if there is too much initial
investment to do in time, corporate users (you know: the \"normal\" guys who only does hacking
at paid day-time, not perverts like us :-) will not use the tool.

Debugging Cocoon apps is an issue. People are used to trial-and-error methods of learning.
Then it would be nice to see where the error is. When doing my first C2 installation two months
ago, I spent a week debugging my XML source, when the error was a minor one in the site map.
Add XSLT-sheets and the complexity grows.

One problem is that as one gets more experienced with the tool, one will see the errors less
often, so it will never become an itch to scratch. When you are confident with the tool enough
to hack it, you don\'t have the same needs that you\'ve had when you were a beginner, so the
tool will never become beginner-friendly.

In order to overcome this, I have started to scribble down my initial stupid beginner mistakes.
If Cocoon would catch those and spit out intelligent messages and suggestions, the tool would
be better.

/O