cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <>
Subject RE: [control flow] changes and new sample
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:23:38 GMT
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi []
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip why="agree with almost every point" />

> So, to resume, this is my proposal.
> <!-- declare the flow of this sitemap -->
> <map:flow language="JavaScript">
>   <map:script src="blah.js"/>
> </map:flow>

+1 if we do not use the 'flow' attribute in <map:call /> to specify the flow
script explicitely and concider that scripts together are the 'Flow layer'
or the 'controller' of the whole application. So, <map:script /> act just
like an 'include'.

> <!-- hand over resource flow to a script function -->
> <map:call function="calc"/>
> <!-- continue a the flow with the given continuation -->
> <map:call continuation="{1}"/>

I remember discussions about making continuations transparent, just like the
session handling in servlet containers. Does this mean that every <map:call
function .../> should have assiciated <map:call continuation="".../>?

> <!-- call a resource -->
> <map:call resource="my-resource"/>
> With this we gain:
>  a) we can still market Cocoon as MVC (or MVC++, MVC# or whatever) we
> just need a document explaining the different ways that
> Cocoon patterns
> can be used to implement the various parts of MVC.
>  b) when MVC degrades because it shows its limits, we are not tight to
> their market because we are more abstract.
>  c) the flow cannot only work as a controller but can work as a
> procedural way to map any transition-part of a FSM. This includes
> workflows and might include distributed web services.
> I know it would be easier *right now* to name it 'controller'
> and forget
> about all the above, but I ask you to think in 5 years from now, then
> place your vote.
> I vote for <map:flow>.

+1. Flow, IMO, much better describes the semantics of a web application than
Controller. Controller associates in my mind with some State-machine-like
control, while 'Flow' has association with freedom ;)

And the 'flow' is also a popular marketing word, e.g.:
	Flowlet -,1072,36293,00.html
	and take a look at this: