cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: voting on license issue
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:51:42 GMT

Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> Again, I think we need to ask ourselves what is the role and the scope
> of cocoondev.org? Do we want to promote Cocoon as an application
> framework by attracting as many app developers as possible? Or do we try
> to offer a lot more, and demand from the app developers a lot more, in
> terms of licenses, copyright assignments and so on? I think going down
> the latter is dangerous, and IMO should not go down that path as we
> might actually loose developers.

But:

 > On Thursday, September 12, 2002, at 04:57  PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
 >
 >> What advantage does this give a project?  Well
 >> they do depend on the benevolence of the legal
 >> entity but I don't think
 >> thats a big problem.  But say one contributer decides to patent a key
 >> part of his code...what happens?  You're screwed.
 >
> Possible interested companies might
> decide to look elsewhere if they have to give up their copyrights and
> use a license they don't want to.

This is theorical.
Practically, the majority use GPL or ASL ar anyway delegate the legal
property to an external entity.

It's a matter of defending the programmers that join the effort with
guarantees.
The ASL license makes it possible for companies that want to
close-source the product do it anyway, they don't loose anything.

As I said, I'm open to many possibilities, but they should be decided
each time as special cases.

OS needs trust, and SF has become what it is now only because it was
able to build trust.

The facts can show that this is not the right route, and that many want
to keep their name on the license... so far I've seen the opposite, anf
JCharts has *explicitly* asked for a Foundation to take over the code.

Many don't want the legal burden.

As for companies that want their way, if they pay...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -