cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Add support for instrumentation ?
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:59:41 GMT
Marcus Crafter wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>	Hope all is well.
>
>	I've been playing around with adding excalibur instrumentation
>	support to cocoon over the past couple of days
>	(http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/instrument/index.html)
>
>	The initial results look quite nice (a sample screenshot of the
>	instrument client in action is available at
>	http://cvs.apache.org/~crafterm/instrumentation.jpg), allowing you
>	to see what's going on inside your cocoon application as it happens.
>
>	Does anyone see any problems with adding this support to HEAD (or
>	should I wait till after 2.1 is released) ?

+1e1000 for HEAD now !!!

This looks really, really cool.

A question that customers often ask is "how can I debug or tune the
application". By combining this extra-cool instrumentation, the profiler
and captor, we're starting to have good answers.

A question however about the cost of instrumentation : is it possible to
know if an instrument is active to avoid costly value computations, in
the same way as we test logger.isDebugEnabled() ?

Thanks,
Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez