cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Cocoon running modes (was Re: Error Handling is NOT working)
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:45:34 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>Guys, isn't it obvious we cannot realy provide errors in a user friendly
>manner since we are delivering the page on-the-fly via SAX? Buffering the
>whole page seems to reduce the positve aspects we get from using SAX and we
>get closer to Cocoon1.
>Maybe we should have two different modes to run cocoon or at least pipelines
>in: buffered and unbuffered. So one could use e.g. buffered for development
>und unbuffered for deployment?!

Is this buffer size only related to development ? I don't think so.
Error-handlers can also be used in production to handle
exceptional-but-foreseen conditions (access denied, unavailable
resource, etc). So the buffer size isn't only a matter of running mode.

However, running mode is a great idea, which could be used for many more
things than buffer size :
- central configuration for automatic reload of XSPs and sitemap in dev
mode (and no reload in production mode),
- display the Cocoon "blue screen of death" to the browser in dev mode
and a gentle "system currently unavailable" in production mode,
- other ideas ?

Sylvain Wallez

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: