cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Now what?
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:08:10 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20020904/sony0203.jpg
>
> Make sure you let your PMC or the board know if you want to take some
> action; for example such as the ASF sending Sony a kind letter that the
> name Cocoon is already in certain use.

Ok, maybe "now what?" wasn't exactly explaining my thoughts about this,
so I'll explain my thoughts in more details.

First of all, "Sony CoCoon" (an acronym for "COnnected COmmunity On
Network") is a TIVO-like networked hard-disk based video recorder.
Google "Sony CoCoon" to know more.

Now. Cocoon is a common name. Besides, I already stole it from Ron
Howard's movie and, to be honest, there *is* prior art in software for
something called 'Cocoon' which is a javadoc-like tool.

At some point, I received a "ehm, you stole my software name" from a
nice guy that was, at least, asking for us to differentiate. The result
of that action was that the project was officially named "Apache
Cocoon", the xml doclet code we hosted moved to jakarta-alexandria (and
died, but that's not another issue). We never received any other letter
from the guy and I don't know the status of its project.

What worries me most, to be entirely honest, is the fact that 'Sony
Cocoon' is linux based. Admittedly a name collision is going to be
extremely rare: who would want to run an 'apache cocoon' inside a 'sony
cocoon' box? But you never know: it has a huge hard disk, it's
networked, it runs linux, it runs a pretty decent MIPS processor and
might be right perfect for a server farm of video streaming with an XML
publishing engine (can you say SMIL?)

Like many people suggested, doing nothing and sitting there relaxing is
an option and a valid one. I agree.

However, do you think that Sony would have let us go away with "Apache
PlayStation" if we had one? What if they start selling millions of "sony
cocoon"s?

So I'm asking the PMC to take a reasonable action to protect our brand
"Apache Cocoon" in a way that would not make it possible for Sony (or
anybody) to make us 'cease and desist' to use our name.