cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: Getting rid of deprecated Interfaces/Classes/Methods
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:46:34 GMT
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 04:10:04PM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ok, I think we should have a look at a features list of fortress
> and merlin compared to the ECM.
>
> Is this somewhere available?

	Merlin docs are at:

	http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/merlin/index.html

	Fortress docs are at:

	http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/fortress/index.html

	More Fortress docs are still coming though.

> I learned by this thread that some marker interface are not
> available anymore and have to be configured somewhere for fortress.
> Is this right?

	Yes.

> So which marker interfaces are concerned? C

	The lifestyle interfaces, like ThreadSafe, SingleThreaded, and
	Poolable.

> How much effort is it to still support those marker interfaces without
> needing the extra configuration?

	Not sure there, the container authors can probably answer that one best.

	IMO I think it's a good move that they are no longer part of the class
	definition. Berin already mentioned the subclassing problem when
	specifying component lifestyles as interfaces, and when it's part of
	the configuration, it doesn't take a recompile for lifestyle changes
	to take affect.

	The good thing about the meta-data approach is that while it's
	more complex, it offers us much more control over the quality and
	stability of the system. meta-data lets us and our users define
	Component, Version and Context dependencies (amongst other things)
	that can all be satisfied or rejected before Cocoon even starts
	processing requests.

	On top of that it provides a good architecture for other
	developments like blocks. :)

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: