cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: Add support for instrumentation ?
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:20:42 GMT
Hi All,

	Hope everyone had a nice weekend! :)

	I've just checked in support for Avalon Excalibur instrumentation
	into HEAD. By default it's disabled, to enable it (in the sample
	webapp), uncomment the 'enable-instrumentation' and the
	'instrumentation-config' from the web.xml.

	I haven't checked in the swing client (what was in the
	screenshot) as it's in jakarta-avalon-excalibur CVS, but I can do
	this if people would like ?

	The job now is to start instrument-izing the various areas of
	Cocoon so that it provides the information people want to see.

	Currently the Instrument Manager itself and each Component's
	component handler are registered (poolable/threadsafe/singlethreaded
	component handler, etc), we can now add as many other instruments
	as we like, and start to count cocoon related things like pipeline
	invocations, number of active requests, sitemap component
	accesses, etc.

	To register a new class it's a matter of implementing a new Avalon
	lifecycle interface. Have a look at available at
	http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/instrument/index.html
	for more info. Non-Avalon components can also be instrumented.

	Kudos to Leif Mortenson for his work on the instrumentation
	package over at avalon-dev! :)

	Ok, that's it so far, give it a try :)

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 01:18:38PM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	Hope all is well.
>
> 	I've been playing around with adding excalibur instrumentation
> 	support to cocoon over the past couple of days
> 	(http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/instrument/index.html)
>
> 	The initial results look quite nice (a sample screenshot of the
> 	instrument client in action is available at
> 	http://cvs.apache.org/~crafterm/instrumentation.jpg), allowing you
> 	to see what's going on inside your cocoon application as it happens.
>
> 	Does anyone see any problems with adding this support to HEAD (or
> 	should I wait till after 2.1 is released) ?
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Marcus
>
> --
>      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
>     ;$'      '$$$$:    Computer Systems Engineer
>     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
>      $       o_)$$$:   82-84 Mainzer Landstrasse
>      ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
>        '     /( &&&
>            \_&&&&'
>           &&&&.
>     &&&&&&&:

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: