cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: Add support for instrumentation ?
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:11:59 GMT
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 02:59:41PM +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Marcus Crafter wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >	Hope all is well.
> >
> >	I've been playing around with adding excalibur instrumentation
> >	support to cocoon over the past couple of days
> >	(http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/instrument/index.html)
> >
> >	The initial results look quite nice (a sample screenshot of the
> >	instrument client in action is available at
> >	http://cvs.apache.org/~crafterm/instrumentation.jpg), allowing you
> >	to see what's going on inside your cocoon application as it happens.
> >
> >	Does anyone see any problems with adding this support to HEAD (or
> >	should I wait till after 2.1 is released) ?
> >

> +1e1000 for HEAD now !!!
>
> This looks really, really cool.

	Yes, I think it rocks! :)

> A question that customers often ask is "how can I debug or tune the
> application". By combining this extra-cool instrumentation, the profiler
> and captor, we're starting to have good answers.
>
> A question however about the cost of instrumentation : is it possible to
> know if an instrument is active to avoid costly value computations, in
> the same way as we test logger.isDebugEnabled() ?

	Yes, the instrumentation api is similar to the logkit api in that
	sense - AbstractInstrument (http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/instrument/api/org/apache/excalibur/instrument/AbstractInstrument.html)
	defines an isActive() method which can be tested to see if the
	instrument is currently being used.

	On top of that I've added a general 'enable-instrumentation'
	startup parameter which can be used to completely disable
	the creation of an instrument-manager if its not needed.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: