cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 14:44:10 GMT
Hi All,

	Hope all is well.

	After working through some interesting issues :) I've updated the
	SOAP server for Cocoon that I've been working on in the following
	areas:

	o SOAP server reader is now based on Axis, rather than Apache SOAP.

	o Helper abstract classes have been written allowing webservices
	  to implement LogEnabled and Composable.

	o Several webservices are now included:

		o cache (allows you to remotely manipulate the Cocoon cache
		         via soap, eg. clear it)

		o memory (allows you to view the total and free amount of
		          memory in your Cocoon application, also allows you
			  to remotely invoke the garbarge collector)

		o system (allows you to inspect the hardware your server
		          is running on)

		o process (allows you to run a system process on the server
		           and view the output. eg. ps, uptime, df, etc)

	o Included a small sample webapp which allows you to list the
	  services currently deployed.

	o Moved entire source over to scratchpad, rather than core

	The source with libraries is now much larger than the original version,
	I'll make it available via http somewhere and enter a bugzilla patch.

	Comments, suggestions more than welcome.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 04:30:09PM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	Hope all is well.
>
> 	Over the past couple of days I've been working on adding the
> 	ability for a Cocoon application to serve SOAP requests.
>
> 	The motivation for this work came from:
>
> 	o The need to share business logic data with other projects, ie.
> 	  B2B communcation.
>
> 	o The desire to build an administration application and remotely query
> 	  a live system about its status.
>
> 	Instead of building a second server into our application (ie. RMI,
> 	CORBA, etc), I thought it might be better to use SOAP for this for
> 	several reasons, mainly since servlet based Cocoon applications are
> 	really HTTP oriented servers anyway.
>
> 	The code adding this functionality is in bugzilla, #11728.
>
> 	My hope is that this feature is of use for others too.
>
> 	Essentially, I took the RPCRouterServlet from the Apache SOAP
> 	project and ported it to Cocoon as a Reader, which in effect
> 	allows you to register SOAP services within your Cocoon app, and
> 	serve data to other clients.
>
> 	The reader can be configured in the sitemap as follows:
>
> <!-- Defines a SOAP RPC reader that will serve SOAP requests via HTTP-POST.
>
>      'managed-services' defines a list of Apache SOAP deployment descriptors
>      that will be automatically deployed at startup and undeployed at
>      shutdown of this reader.
>  -->
> <map:reader logger="sitemap.reader.soap-rpc" name="soap-rpc"
>             src="org.apache.cocoon.reading.SoapRPCReader">
>  <managed-services>
>   <descriptor src="resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/soap/services/memory/DeploymentDescriptor.xml"/>
>  </managed-services>
> </map:reader>
>
> 	Consult the javadocs for the full option set which includes the
> 	ability to set an EnvelopeEditorFactory, and custom SOAP server xml
> 	config file.
>
> 	The pipeline match is quite simple like most readers:
>
> <!-- Match SOAP RPC Router requests -->
> <map:match pattern="rpcrouter">
>  <map:read type="soap-rpc" mime-type="text/xml"/>
> </map:match>
>
> 	With these 2 sections added to your sitemap, you can then make
> 	HTTP-POST queries to the above pipeline to deploy, list, invoke or
> 	undeploy particular SOAP services from your Cocoon app. The
> 	ServiceManagerClient class that comes with Apache SOAP is quite
> 	useful for this.
>
> 	I've included an example service with my patch which allows a
> 	remote client to query the amount of free & total memory the remote
> 	Cocoon app currently has, and also allows a client to invoke the
> 	garbage collector on the remote application.
>
> 	For those interested have a look at the class and deployment
> 	descriptor in the o/a/c/components/soap/services/memory directory,
> 	and the	webapps/samples/soap directory.
>
> 	The SoapRPCReader also adds the Cocoon request, response, context
> 	and ComponentManager to the SOAP request context, which means it's
> [...]

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: