cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 07:14:40 GMT

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Christian Haul wrote:

> On 06.Aug.2002 -- 08:32 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > So, *if* we vote on refactoring or starting a new Cocoon
> > major version, I'm definitly -1 on this.
> >
> > I still believe that we can solve some (perhaps not all)
> > problems simply by organizing our project structure and
> > by shifting our activities from "hacking new features"
> > to "making a more perfect solution".
>
> So, could we just come back to Berin's original idea, create some
> subdirectories based e.g. on functionality, move stuff to
> subdirectories if appropriate, and change the build process to include
> these subdirectories as we do with scratchpad?
>
> Step two could be to build seperate jars, step three to relax release
> cycles for sub-projects. No magic, no changing of any names, just
> re-packaging.
>
> Candidates so far:
>
> * forms (simple and XML)
> * databases (esql, transformer, actions)
> * fop
> * portal
>
> How about (in addition to the above):
>
> * delhi
> * docbook
> * ...

Why do we need sub directories? I like Andrew's idea with the xconfig.
All we need some more properties for the buid file.

.ant.properties.minimal:
include.forms=no
include.databases=no
include.fop=no
[...]

.ant.properties.full
include.forms=yes
include.databases=yes
include.fop=yes
[...]

And the build file can exclude the files for the subprojects, similar to
the prepare-src-main task.

Stephan Michels.