cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 08:32:37 GMT

> Now, I'm pretty sure, that some might now stand up and say: "Hey, Carsten,
> you know what? Cocoon is open source, so if you see a need, you can
> contribute and fix it." Well, that's the individual approach we were
> following in the last months. And does it really work? Or someone will
> say "Hey, it's alpha, what do you expect?"...
>
> And one final note:
> Just do a simple performance test: create a pipeline reading an xml file
> transform this in two steps with two xslt transformers and serialize it
> to html (or xml if you want). Do a stress test on the same machine
> using Cocoon 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3 and 2.1-dev. (I don't know
> the answer to this test, but I would bet a book on the result).

A simple wget job, which I tried, breaks a Cocoon instance mit a
OutOfMemoryException. I had also problems with NPE from the
AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline with the ValidityObjects. The commit
from Huber prevents the NPE, but didn't solves the problem, I think.

So, I totally agree with your comments.

> So, whew, you see I had some time to prepare this email...and now
> the flame-war can begin...
>
> But summarizing this: +1 on Berins idea.

+1.

I took some of my time to remove the deprecated classes and methods, like
the Loggable IF. At the moment I try to change the implementation to
use the Excalibur LoggerManager instead of the Logkitmanager.
There are also the deprecated SourceHandler classes. In the past I have
rewritten the XMLDBSource to use the Excalibur Source interfaces, which
could went from the scratchpad into the main trunk.

I hope through these changes we can remove the deprecated classes, to
reduce the count of classes and execution time.

Stephan Michels.