cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 07:22:23 GMT
Stephan Michels wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Christian Haul wrote:
>
> > On 06.Aug.2002 -- 08:32 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > > So, *if* we vote on refactoring or starting a new Cocoon
> > > major version, I'm definitly -1 on this.
> > >
> > > I still believe that we can solve some (perhaps not all)
> > > problems simply by organizing our project structure and
> > > by shifting our activities from "hacking new features"
> > > to "making a more perfect solution".
> >
> > So, could we just come back to Berin's original idea, create some
> > subdirectories based e.g. on functionality, move stuff to
> > subdirectories if appropriate, and change the build process to include
> > these subdirectories as we do with scratchpad?
> >
> > Step two could be to build seperate jars, step three to relax release
> > cycles for sub-projects. No magic, no changing of any names, just
> > re-packaging.
> >
> > Candidates so far:
> >
> > * forms (simple and XML)
> > * databases (esql, transformer, actions)
> > * fop
> > * portal
> >
> > How about (in addition to the above):
> >
> > * delhi
> > * docbook
> > * ...
>

> Why do we need sub directories? I like Andrew's idea with the xconfig.
> All we need some more properties for the buid file.
>
> .ant.properties.minimal:
> include.forms=no
> include.databases=no
> include.fop=no
> [...]
>
> .ant.properties.full
> include.forms=yes
> include.databases=yes
> include.fop=yes
> [...]
>
> And the build file can exclude the files for the subprojects, similar to
> the prepare-src-main task.

Yes, this is correct and it's (more or less) the way the build system
is currently working - (the difference is that currently we don't have
properties but we check for available classes).

Actually this is a maintainance nightmare, Often new features were added
and the build system (or the optional checks) were not added accurately.
The build.xml is getting bigger and bigger. By separating this into
directories this will be IMHO much cleaner and easier.

Carsten