cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 19:17:08 GMT

On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 10:52  AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:

>> I think you missed the point. We have lots of RTs, discussions, etc,
>> and
>> the only way to get them is through archives, or sometimes some good
>> soul [summary]izes them, and again, these summaries are available in
>> the
>> archive. Wiki will allow to keep this information online, browsable,
>> and
>> *editable*.
>
> Yep thats exactly what I meant.
>
> Wikis are a 'step up' from a mailing list archive because they have a
> low barrier to entry (it's just as easy to click 'edit this page' as it
> is to click 'new msg'), but there's the ability to go back and revise
> documents. E.g. to add more information, mark stuff as implemented
> or rejected, rationale behind decisions, etc.

I agree. If we have the resources available we should try **any**
approach that increases doc/author input. Even better if such a wiki
system includes (or we can add on) a structured text -> xml tool (based
on new document dtds?). Converting even well-summarized email posts into
cvs doc commits still takes an overly large amount of commiter time. I'm
really not an experienced wiki person, so I'm sure I'm missing out on
many ways to make my volunteer time more productive.

Still, we're starting to get great input on cocoon-users related to doc
content. The doc list (just recently formed) is getting some traffic; I
believe it serves a different purpose -- doc discussions, not simply
editing/changing. Wiki could become another great tool, but let's keep
all of our options open and continue to encourage all efforts, however
they manifest.

> I've personally being organising my Cocoon notes into a wiki I
> have running locally -- something which I'm hoping to release
> publically soon.

Great.

> Some of it can easily be converted into HOW-TOs and other snippets
> which I'll send to Diana as soon as I get time.

I'd love to know more about this "easy" conversion process. And thanks
for the doc draft, Leigh, along with your other helpful
developerWorks-hosted tutorials! Thanks also to Andy, for offering to
host such a system.

-- Diana