cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alfredas Chmieliauskas <alfre...@sseriga.edu.lv>
Subject RE: Is Cocoon unstable?
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:41:48 GMT

I had a similar experience of cocoon2.0.1 site (development) going down
every couple of days. However, that was a real memory leak related to
xindice and XMLDBSource. The method I used to track down the leak was
simple: web stress tool + java profiler.
The tools I used were:
1) Microsoft Web Application Stress Tool (http://webtool.rte.microsoft.com)
...one of the better MS products ;-)
2) JProbe Suite (trial version)
(http://www.sitraka.com/software/jprobe/jprobesuite.html)
...includes memory debugger, thread analyzer - basically all you'll ever
need.

I hope this helps,

Alfredas
-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Fagnani-Bell
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Sent: 8/8/2002 1:11 AM
Subject: Re: Is Cocoon unstable?

I have a site running on Cocoon 2.0.1 that needs restarting every couple

of days or it gets real slow. I seems like a memory leak, but the log
files show plenty of memory available to the JVM. This doesn't even get
that much traffic. If I don't restart Tomcat, eventually the site will
crash.

I figure it could easily be my code (custom generators and actions), but

I can't find anything. I'm currently rewriting the entire system with
optimizations based on my experience, so I haven't spent much time
trying to figure out what the problem is on the old codebase. Once I'm
done rewriting though, I'll need to revisit this. Avalon and CoP are new

to me and I wonder if I'm missing something in a recycle() somewhere,
but I've checked and can't find anything. I often times see (in the
logs) components getting initialized many times, even though I though I
thought I set up cocoon.xconf to only create one instance. Probably my
fault

My biggest question is: How should I test a Cocoon deployment for memory

leaks? I've never used jdb, and only used a comercial java profiler
once. What else could be causing slow-downs if the JVM free memory seems

ok? How do other people test their Cocoon apps?

Justin